The Forum is a many-sided, non-government, consultative-expert tool created for the assistance and scholarly support of SCO activities, and to develop cooperation between research and political science centers of SCO member states, conduct joint research on pressing questions within the Organization’s sphere of reference, articulate the tasks and principles of SCO activities, expand its ties to scholarly and social groups, as well as to encourage the exchange of opinions between scholars and experts in the fields of politics, security, economics, environment, new technologies, and in humanitarian and other areas. The Forum bases its activities on the principles of the SCO Charter, on the laws of SCO member states, and on its own Regulation. The Forum works in close cooperation with the SCO Secretariat, the Council of National Coordinators and the Foreign Ministries of member states.
The Forum was constituted on May 22-23, 2006 at a meeting held at the MoscowStateUniversity for International Relations. Each SCO member state uses its own criteria to designate one authoritative research institution to be included in the Forum’s structure. Those institutions hold the status ofNationalResearchCenter of the SCO. At present, the following institutions have the status of NationalResearchCenter – Member of the SCO Forum:
The main tasks of the Forum are:
– to establish communications and the exchange of experience and research materials between research and political science centers and institutions of higher learning of SCO member states and observer states, as well as with other states and organizations interested in cooperating with the SCO in various fields;
– to conduct research and prepare materials providing analyses and forecasts, and to make recommendations concerning specific areas of SCO activity in order to increase the effectiveness of the work of the Organization;
– to participate in project appraisals within the framework of multilateral cooperative SCO programs;
– to prepare and conduct international symposia, seminars, conferences, round table discussions and other events dealing with questions of interest to the SCO;
– to publish materials related to research and activities carried out under Forum aegis.